Googling around I found something I think could be very useful to a lot
of people... like you all know, Android installs apps either on SD card
or (more often) to internal memory. Since internal memory is limited,
it is much better to install non system apps (i.e. typical games, since
they occupy a lot of space) to SD card. Since Android 2.1, it is
possible to move programs to SD card, but only those which are enabled
- that is - which it's author specified that are movable. This is
really a problem because there are still lots of programs which don't
allow this therefore occupying precious internal storage. Their authors
probably think that users will uninstall them or that moving to SD card
will degrade performance so they don't allow it, even though these apps
would work perfectly well from SD card. You should keep widgets and
system applications on internal storage. but games that you seldom play
and other apps that you barely use?
now there is a solution! I tested it on my stock Gingerbread (2.3.3) HTC Desire HD, and it works beautifully!
Here is the original link, followed by the instructions, edited by me:
* You need to make sure that you enabled “USB debugging” on your phone.
* You need the Android SDK
* Connect your phone to a USB port
* open up a terminal window (type "cmd" from start menu->run)
change location to the folder of your SDK installation, i.e. in my case
C:\android-sdk-windows f.e. "C:\[enter]cd android-sdk-windows[enter]"
* change location to platform-tools foplder ( i.e. C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools ) fe "cd platform-tools[enter]"
* type “adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2[enter]” (without the quotes)
* you should get something like this:
C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>adb shell pm setInstallLocation 2
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
* Disconnect the cable
* Restart your phone
Go to the Applications menu in the Settings menu and move your apps to
your SD card or use App2SD - all the apps that were "phone only" will
appear under the "movable to SD card" (but a few)
* If you wish to restore this setting back to default, type “adb shell pm setInstallLocation 0[enter]“